5 Mistakes to Avoid While Fishing
One thing that all inshore and offshore anglers have in common is the simple mistakes they all make. There are so many factors to consider when fishing that can lead you to miss a bite, lose a fish, or basically come up empty-handed. Make a cast too close to the shore and you might not catch a bite or turn your head too quickly and you could completely miss the obvious ripples of a fish chasing bait. With so much out of your control, it’s important to understand some of the most common mistakes and how to avoid them to increase your chances of a successful fishing trip.
It might seem trivial but being unprepared for your outing is one of the most common mistakes in fishing. Make sure to create a complete list of all of the equipment you plan on using according to the type of fish you are targeting. A rod 6 feet in length should work well for smaller fish, and a rod of 7 to 10 feet is a good choice for larger fish. Also make sure you are wearing the proper clothing depending on the weather and that all of your equipment is organized and easy to access.
Using the Wrong Fishing Lures
It might appear that all fish are foolish, but oftentimes fish won’t just chase anything. Most of the time fish can determine if something is out of place or seems odd, so try and make sure you are using fishing lures that closely match the natural habitat of the fish you are targeting. Do your research and purchase lures according to the type of water you will be fishing in.
Not Changing Your Line
Another common mistake that many anglers easily look over is not frequently changing their fishing line. Sunlight and saltwater can quickly deteriorate your line, so there are some easy tips and tricks to make the most of your line before you purchase a new one. One idea is to cut your line back a little each time until it’s too short to use or even flip your line as it gets older. Most of the time you are only using about 25 percent of the line, so the remaining 75 percent is still brand new!
Fighting Too Hard
Many times anglers fight their catch way too hard. A lot of times pulling too hard will prolong the fight which will stress the fish and ultimately result in a loss. Understanding your gear and knowing your target fish can make you a better angler overall. When you find yourself fighting a fish, the harder you pull in one direction, the harder it will pull in the opposite direction. Instead of fighting against it, make sure to keep its head up and apply light pressure to steer it towards the boat. A little patience goes a long way!
Ignoring the Seasons
Sure, you can catch a variety of fish and species when you head out on your fishing trip without a plan, but it’s a huge mistake to assume something will happen. In order to be consistently successful, you should focus on a specific species and learn as much as possible about its behavior and seasonal preferences so that you can plan the best location, best lures, and bring the proper equipment. Going out on a trip without a plan will most likely end up a shot in the dark and leave you frustrated.
Neglecting to Check the Weather
The weather is a huge factor when it comes to fishing. Before you head out on the water, make sure you check the weather forecast and water conditions since it could affect your fishing productivity. Depending on your location, bad weather could pop up quickly and sometimes could be a matter of life or death. Make sure you check the fishing forecast the night before to ensure you will have all of the proper equipment and necessities at hand. Safety should be your number one priority. If you are traveling to a new location, hiring a guide can be a great idea since they are the most knowledgeable about the area (and usually know the best spots).
Overall, a little preparation can go a long way when it comes to planning a successful fishing trip. If you choose to visit us at the Steinhatchee Marina, our crew will make sure you are prepared and ready for a successful day out on the water!