Explore Steinhatchee, Florida’s Rich Fishing Waters
At Steinhatchee Marina, we offer boat rental and storage services, along with everything you need for a great fishing experience in the beautiful town of Steinhatchee. The Steinhatchee River is a haven for different types of fish such as kingfish, tarpon, redfish, and snapper. These species can be caught year-round, making Steinhatchee a prime destination for anglers of all skill levels.
Species of Fish in the Steinhatchee River & Gulf of Mexico
The Steinhatchee River is home to a diverse set of fish species. Some of the most popular species that can be caught in the Steinhatchee River include:
- Kingfish: Known for its ferocious appetite, kingfish is a popular catch in Steinhatchee. It is most abundant during the summer months and can be found in deep waters around 30 feet.
- Tarpon: Also known as the silver king, tarpon is a highly prized inshore species that can be found in Steinhatchee. These fish can grow to be quite large, making them a formidable opponent for even the most skilled anglers.
- Redfish: A productive catch throughout the year, redfish can be caught using a variety of techniques such as light tackle casting and flat trolling.
- Snook: Florida has five different species of freshwater snook: common snook, tarpon snook, sword spine snook, and large-scaled fat snook. The most abundant and well-known of the five is the common snook. While they used to be most prevalent in the hottest part of the summer, snook can now be found almost anywhere, at any time. They are a favorite of anglers because they are a bit of a challenge, as they’re known for their hard runs and inshore fighting. Plus, they taste delicious.
- Sea Trout: Sea trout can be found anywhere near grass flats, mudflats, and oyster bars, as well as in creek mouths, under mangroves, under docks, and in turning basins. If you find a school of sea trout, it’s not hard for even a beginner to catch one every few minutes.
- Gag Grouper: Gag grouper are the most widely distributed of all the species of Florida groupers. They are large bottom fish that can be found around reef ledges, caves, and cracks. Adult gags can be found in the shallows. They can be caught on any fresh cut bait.
- Snapper: A popular nearshore fish, snapper is seasonal and may not be available year-round. When in season, it can be caught using dead baits such as mullet heads or half mullets.
- Spotted Sea Trout: Known for its delicious meat and fight, spotted sea trout is a popular catch in Steinhatchee, especially in the flats.
- Grouper: Grouper is a popular target for anglers fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, and it is also found in Steinhatchee. They are usually found in deep waters and in structures like rocks, shipwrecks, and ledges.
- Speckled Trout: Spotted or speckled trout can be caught by anglers of any level. Trout fishing is plentiful in Florida, and they are easy to catch as they are willing to strike artificial lures. You can also use jumbo live shrimp or a live mullet to catch larger speckled trout or gator trout.
- Flounder: Flounder are abundant in Florida, and are a favorite of anglers. Florida has two species of flounder: Gulf flounder, which is smaller, and Southern flounder, which is bigger. You can find them in brackish and saltwater environments in inlets, around docks, near tidal creek and river mouths, and in sandy potholes in grass flats. You can also find them around nearshore structures like wrecks, reefs, and piers.
- Cobia: You can find cobia in Florida from October or November until March or April. They are warm water fish that migrate year-round from the Northern Gulf to the Southern Gulf and back. They are found in nearshore and inshore waters with bays and inlets, around buoys, pilings, and wrecks. Live crabs and small fish are the best bait. They are fairly easy to catch for beginner and expert anglers, and they are delicious and healthy.
These are just a few of the many species that can be found in the Steinhatchee River. With its diverse range of fish, Steinhatchee is a prime destination for anglers of all skill levels looking to catch a variety of species.
Types of Fishing in Steinhatchee
Steinhatchee offers a variety of fishing options to suit everyone’s needs, including:
- Charter Fishing: Charter fishing is a popular option for those who want a more personalized experience. This type of fishing typically involves hiring a fishing guide or charter service to take you out on the water.
- Party Boat Fishing: Party boat fishing is a great option for those who want to fish with a group. These boats typically hold a large number of anglers and offer a more social fishing experience.
- Kayak Fishing: Kayak fishing is a great way to explore the Steinhatchee River and its tributaries. It is a great way to get away from the crowds and enjoy a more peaceful fishing experience.
- Inshore Fishing: Inshore fishing is a great option for those who want to catch smaller species such as redfish, sea trout, or flounder.
- Offshore Fishing: Offshore fishing is for those who want to catch big game fish such as grouper, snapper, or tuna. It is typically done in deeper waters and requires specialized equipment.
- Scalloping: Scalloping is a fun summer activity in Steinhatchee. The scalloping season starts in July, and it’s a family-friendly way to catch fresh scallops from the Gulf of Mexico.
These are just a few of the different types of fishing available in Steinhatchee. Whether you’re an experienced angler or a beginner, there’s a fishing option that’s perfect for you.
Fishing Spots of Steinhatchee
Steinhatchee offers a variety of fishing spots for anglers of all skill levels. Some of the most popular fishing spots in Steinhatchee include:
- The Steinhatchee River: The Steinhatchee River is a great place to catch a variety of species such as redfish, sea trout, and flounder. The river is known for its clear water, and it’s a great spot for fly fishing and kayak fishing.
- The Gulf of Mexico: The Gulf of Mexico offers excellent fishing opportunities for those looking to catch big game fish such as grouper, snapper, and tuna. The Gulf of Mexico is also a popular spot for scalloping during the scallop season.
- Offshore Artificial Reefs: Steinhatchee is home to a number of offshore artificial reefs that are great for catching fish such as snapper, grouper, amberjack, and other species.
- Jena State Beach: Located on the Gulf of Mexico, Jena State Beach is a great spot for fishing and scalloping. It’s a popular spot for catching redfish, sea trout, and flounder.
- Deadman Bay: Deadman Bay is a popular spot for fishing, and it is known for its redfish and trout fishing.
Fishing Season in Steinhatchee
The fishing season in Steinhatchee varies depending on the species. Some fish, such as redfish and spotted sea trout, can be caught year-round, while others such as kingfish and tarpon are typically caught during the summer months. Scalloping season is typically from July through September. Anglers should always check local fishing regulations and obtain necessary licenses before heading out.
Visit Steinhatchee Marina for Fishing
Steinhatchee Marina is your go-to destination for fishing. Some of the reasons why include:
- Convenient Location: Steinhatchee Marina is located in the heart of Steinhatchee, FL, which is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. The marina provides easy access to the Steinhatchee River, Gulf of Mexico, and offshore artificial reefs, which are popular spots for catching a variety of fish.
- Quality Boat & Kayak Rentals: We offer a variety of boats, including skiffs, pontoons, tritoons, and clear kayaks, which are well-suited for fishing as well as general boating. The clear kayaks offer an incredible view of the surrounding wildlife, such as manatees and various types of fish.
- Wet and Dry Storage Options: We also provide both wet and dry storage options for boats, so anglers can easily access the water and keep their boat stored safely.
- Fishing Supplies: Steinhatchee Marina offers a well-stocked store that carries plenty of fishing supplies, as well as groceries. It’s a one-stop-shop for anglers who can purchase all necessary equipment and bait before heading out to fish.
- RV Parking: For RVers, the marina’s sister property, Steinhatchee River Club, offers cozy RV parking and access to a private boat ramp and wet slips.
- Friendly Service: Steinhatchee Marina offers friendly service and top-of-the-line facilities. Our staff is knowledgeable about the area and can help you plan your fishing trip.
- Competitive Rates: Steinhatchee Marina offers competitive rates on all of our rental boats and at our boat storage facility, making it an affordable option for boating and fishing.